STORIED SOUNDS (RBRCD31; CDNN091)
Storied Sounds is a beautifully-composed love letter to the Estonian landscapes of Tuulikki’s childhood, to more recent adventures, and to family and friends.
There is a glimmering vividness in these tracks. Pulsating cities, screeching seagulls, fishes flapping in nets, the smell of the forest in autumn and spring...all of these things, and more, are depicted powerfully in their reflective tunescapes. Ambient field recordings made in Estonia infuse several pieces, enhancing their already strong sense of place.
Storied Sounds evokes an elemental point where nature, memory and music converge.
Tuulikki says, “We transfer our traditions to each other, take our world with us wherever we go, and we take something with us from every place we visit, every person we meet.”
So it is appropriate that she asked Timo Alakotila, her mentor for more than 20 years, and Villu Talsi, her friend and colleague for over 12 years, to play on the album.
Tuulikki Bartosik - free bass accordion, voice, metallophone
Timo Alakotila - piano
Villu Talsi - mandolin
Dylan Fowler - guitar
1. Daniels polska 05:06
2. November/Rõuge river in November/Rõuge jõgi novembris/Fireplace/kaminatuli 03:14
3. Tormilind/Seagull/Seagulls in the Baltic/ Balti mere kajakad 05:30
4. Time?/Aeg? /Nybrokajen,Stockholm 03:43
5. Leo slängpolska/Spring in Rõuge/Rõuge kevad 06:25
6. Calling in Rõuge/Rõuge hõiked 01:19
7. Theo the Tiger/Theo valss 04:27
8. Josefins vaggvisa 08:54
9. Zeltini secrets/Zeltini saladused 00:55
10. Orsa 03:43
11. Moon salutation/Tervitus kuule 04:23
12. To Hannah&Ben 03:05
13. Karins brudpolska 04:27
Total time 55:09
Recorded in Estonian Radio by Siim Mäesalu & in Stiwdio Felin Fach by Dylan Fowler, field recordings made by Tuulikki Bartosik, John Grzinich & Simon Whetham in the collaboration project Active Crossover in Mooste, Estonia
Artwork by Krõõt Kukkur
Mixed by Rainer Koik
Mastered by Minerva Pappi